- Postdoctoral researcher – Centre for Language Studies, Radboud University Nijmegen, from September 2017. Research on cross-language structural priming in young bilingual children. See the project website for more information.
- Lecturer, researcher, and consultant – Windesheim University of Applied Sciences, Zwolle (the Netherlands), 2015–present. Working on multilingualism, language learning and literacy acquisition in educational settings.
- Postdoctoral researcher – Center for Language Science, Pennsylvania State University, 2014–2015. Electrophysiological and eye-tracking research on sentence processing in second language learners and bilinguals; corpus-based research on bilingual language use. Mentors: prof. dr. Giuli Dussias and dr. Eleonora Rossi.
- Postdoctoral researcher – Centre for Language Studies, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2010–present. Project: Cross-language processing in Papiamento-Dutch, Turkish-Dutch, and Dutch-English bilinguals. Sub-project of ERC-advanced project ‘Traces of Contact’, PI: prof. dr. Pieter Muysken.
- Research assistant – Behavioural Science Institute, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2009–2010. Designing and programming psycholinguistic experiments. Project management: prof. dr. Janet van Hell.
- Research assistant – Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Acquisition Group, 2009–2010. Statistical analysis and reporting of behavioural and visual world eye-tracking experiments in second language learners. Project management: dr. Leah Roberts and dr. Christine Dimroth.
- PhD candidate – Behavioural Science Institute, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2005–2010. Thesis: Code-switching in monologue and dialogue: Activation and alignment in bilingual language production. Promotors: prof. dr. Janet van Hell and prof. dr. Ton Dijkstra. Defended 12 January 2012.
- Visiting researcher – Department of Psychology, the Pennsylvania State University, USA, laboratory of prof. dr. Judith Kroll, October–November 2007.
- Student assistant – Department of Applied Linguistics, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, 2005. Statistical analysis of a study on early English language instruction in Dutch primary schools. Project management: prof. dr. Sieneke Goorhuis-Brouwer and prof. dr. Kees de Bot.
- Research trainee – Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Multilingualism Group, 2004. Preparing, performing, and analyzing experimental studies on multilingual processing. Supervisors: dr. Leah Roberts and dr. Marianne Gullberg.
- PhD – Behavioural Science Institute, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2005–2010. Specialization: multilingual communication and learning processes.
- Research Master Linguistics – Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, 2003–2005. Specialization: Applied linguistics, second language acquisition, bilingualism, psycholinguistics.
- Bachelor Dutch Language and Culture – Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, 2000–2003. Specialization: Language development in children and adults.
Grants / awards
- 2017: Grant from Nationaal Regieorgaan Onderwijonderzoek (NRO). Title: ‘Onderwijs aan vluchtelingen – Internationale impulsen ter versterking van opzet en inhoud van de professionalisering van leraren’. Co-applicants: prof. dr. Maaike Hajer (HU University of Applied Sciences / University of Malmö, main applicant) and dr. Marian van Popta (Marnix Onderwijscentrum, Utrecht).
- 2016: Grant from the Dutch council for Primary Education (PO-Raad) awarded to the Lectoreninitiatief Professionalisering Taalonderwijs Vluchtelingenkinderen to write a guide on education to newcomers in the Netherlands.
- Various courses on applied research, academic and methodological skills, and language and literacy acquisition in educational settings. Windesheim University of Applied Sciences, Zwolle.
- DGfS Summer School 2013 on Language Development: Evolution, Change, Acquisition. Co-teacher with prof. dr. Pieter Muysken. Berlin, 12–31 August 2013.
- Multilingualism – Teacher, Research Master Cognitive Neuroscience and Master Linguistics, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2010–present.
- MA thesis supervisor – Masters Linguistics, Cognitive Psychology, and Special Education, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2006–present.
- BA thesis supervisor – Bachelors Special Education and English Language and Culture, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2006–present.
- Supervisor of assistants – supervision of two trainees and three student assistants, 2011–present.
- Experimental Research Training – Teacher, Research Master Behavioural Science, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2008–2010.
- Statistical and Methodological Consultant – MA Thesis Workplace, Department of Special Education, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2009–2010.
- Academic and Methodological Skills – Teacher, Bachelor Special Education, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2009–2010.
- Introduction to Special Education: Learning and Development – Teacher, Bachelor Special Education, Radboud University Nijmegen, 2009–2010.
- Introductory Statistics – Teacher, Bachelors General Linguistics, Communication Sciences, and Alpha Information Sciences, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, 2005.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the book series Bilingual Processing and Acquisition (John Benjamins Publishing; edited by John Schwieter).
- Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, special issue on Cross-linguistic priming in bilinguals: Multidisciplinary perspectives on language processing, acquisition, and change, together with prof. dr. Pieter Muysken.
- Sage Open, Article Editor.
Ad hoc peer reviewer for
- Acta Psychologica; Applied Psycholinguistics; Bilingualism: Language and Cognition; Cognition; Dutch Journal of Applied Linguistics; EUROSLA Yearbook; Frontiers in Psychology: Cognition; Frontiers in Psychology: Language Sciences; International Journal of Bilingualism; International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism; International Journal of Multilingualism; Journal of Cognitive Psychology; Journal of Memory and Language; Language and Cognitive Processes; Language Learning; Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism; Linguistics in the Netherlands; Neuropsychologia; PLOS One; Psychological Science; Second Language Research; The Handbook of the Neuroscience of Multilingualism (Schwieter, forthcoming); The Cambridge Handbook of Bilingual Processing (Schwieter, 2015); Multidisciplinary Approaches to Code Switching (Isurin et al., 2009)
Professional activities and memberships
- Co-organizer of two study days on education to newcomers by the Lectoreninitiatief Professionalisering Taalonderwijs Vluchtelingenkinderen, 5 July and 23 September 2016.
- Organizer of conference Cross-Linguistic Priming in Bilinguals: Perspectives and Constraints, Radboud University Nijmegen, 9–11 September 2013. See http://crosslingprimingconf2013.wordpress.com.
- Co-organizer of Anéla Voorjaarsstudiedag 2013: Taal en Gezondheid (yearly-held one-day conference for members of the Dutch Association for Applied Linguistics), 16 May 2013.
- Organizer of symposium Translation: Online and Offline, Losses and Gains, Radboud University Nijmegen, 25 and 26 June 2012.
- Evaluator of MA thesis, University of Bergen, Norway.
- Member of the international evaluation committee of three PhD theses in linguistics from the University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir, Pakistan.
- Member of the scientific committee for Workshop on Neurobilingualism, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, 25–27 August 2013.
- Board member and webmaster of Anéla (Dutch Association for Applied Linguistics), 2011–2014.
- Member of Anéla, 2005–present.
- Member of the Linguistic Society of the Netherlands, 2011–2015.
Media and public activities
- Member of the Lectoreninitiatief Professionalisering Taalonderwijs Vluchtelingenkinderen. Media coverage of the lectoreninitiatief:
- ‘Goed taalonderwijs is goed NT2-onderwijs‘, blog for educational professionals, together with Erna van Koeven and Anneke Smits, 12 July 2016.
- ‘Het onderwijs mag de thuistaal niet vergeten‘, opinion article in Trouw, together with Karijn Helsloot, 7 December 2015.
- Organization of a public lab Meer dan 1 taal in je hoofd: échte breintraining (‘More than one language in your mind: real braintraining’), Drongofestival on multilingualism, 19 September 2012, Amsterdam.
- Team captain of a group of secondary school pupils at De Jonge Academie On Wheels, 2008
- Interviews on PhD thesis with Volkskrant and Trouw, and Wereldomroep.
- University press report on PhD thesis published by Levende Talen Magazine, msn.com, Kennislink.nl, and Taalsector.be (Belgian website for language professionals).